Saturday 12 December 2009

Eating in darkness

To finish the birthday last night, we ate at one of Berlin's two darkness restaurants, Nocti Vagus. The only question Thomas asked me before he booked was "are you scared of the dark?" No, never have been. So it was a surprise that I met with joy when I heard what would happen.

Yes, the whole night would take place in TOTAL darkness, guided by our blind waitress Monika. It was an extraordinary experience to hone the other senses such as smell, hearing, touch and taste, to enjoy our food and our company, and to live for a few hours as some visually impaired people do.
After dinner, there was a group who sang of Christmas stories from around the world, with beautiful haunting voices.

The first thing I noticed when my entrée arrived was its smell (scallops). I found myself with my hands in my food quite a bit and there were inevitable moments of putting an empty fork into our mouths as we attempted to capture the food on our plates. Pouring wine was another interesting challenge... But by the end of the night, I felt like I was in any normal lively restaurant on a Friday night - how quickly we adapt to new circumstances...

Dark Restaurant & Dark Stage NOCTI VAGUS
Saarbrücker Str. 36-38
10405 Berlin - Germany

Phone: (030) 74 74 91 23

1 comment: