Wednesday 18 February 2009

Berlin artisan Hinrich Kröger & Scott Matthew




Another of my favourite Berlin artisans is Hinrich Kröger, a ceramic artist with a lovely shop/atelier in Gipsstraße Mitte. His work is delightfully whimsical, erotic, often eccentric and lovingly handmade. He is also represented in New York.

I discovered his atelier by happy accident. I passed it one day on my first visit to Berlin back in 2007 and saw outside the door a flyer for a gig by a sublimely talented friend of mine from Australia, New York-based singer/songwriter Scott Matthew, whose profile has risen since his appearance in the film Shortbus, for which he wrote and performed the music. So I had a little flash of excitement because I had not seen Scott for a very long time and I went in and told Hinrich that this is how I was drawn in. And since then I have bought a gorgeous birdy vase for my mother and I own a beautiful cat teacup for my morning tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment